Wednesday 24 April 2013

2013 NaPoWriMo Day 22

I’m Over You
You left me in my darkest hour to rediscover yourself you said
as you climbed in your car and drove away
I was lost without you – I saw you everywhere I went
in the spines of books as I wondered the library late into the night
in the songs on the radio as I drove to work every day
in the sudsy soap as I washed dishes from a meal for one
in the howling of the neighbour’s dog as I remembered the nights spent under the stars

You wrote me letters – one a week
I never opened them not even one
they lived unopened in a box under the bed

The pain you caused healed slowly
the jagged scars on my heart began to fade
I saw you less frequently now – my brain and heart vaguely remembering
the words
of love
of promises
of forever
that you whispered to me as we lay in our bed

One day I received a letter, confused I opened it,
realising only then that I had stopped thinking about you.
I had forgotten you; you were no longer part of my life.
Your letter said that
you missed me,
loved me,
realised that your home had always been me,
that you were coming back.

For a moment my heart beat with joy as I remembered
how I once loved you – but then I remembered as well
how you had left me and the pain that followed.
But more importantly
I realised I didn’t care anymore.
I had moved on – forgotten you – washed you out of my life.
I sighed, thinking to myself.
It is now your turn to feel the pain of heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment